Audible: verbal commands shouted by the quarterback to his teammates at the line of scrimmage to change a play on short notice.
"Top 10" will be a series on Gridiron Girl: Beyond the X's & O's. This weekly series will cover the top 10 facts or topics of the week in regards to Major League Baseball, the National Football League, National Basketball Association, or National Hockey League. The second installment of this series will cover the NFL and is named Audible. Let's get started!
Top 10 Football Facts: Did you know?
1. With nearly $1 Billion in annual revenues, the NFL is the world's richest professional sports league.
2. The AFL and NFL merged in 1970.
The merge was officially announced in 1966.
3. Monday Night Football first aired in 1970.
The hosts were Howard Cosell, Keith Jackson, and Don Meredith.
4. The three bird mascots of the Baltimore Ravens are named Edgar, Allan, and Poe.
5. The Colts were the first NFL team to have cheerleaders.
6. Terry Bradshaw is the first and only NFL player to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
He received his star of October 11, 2001.
7. Eli and Peyton Manning are the only brothers to be awarded the Super Bowl MVP award.
The Manning Brothers are also the only set of brothers to both play quarterback in a Super Bowl.
8. In a study conducted in 2006, fans of the Cleveland Browns are the most loyal fans in the NFL.
9. In 1979, John Elway was drafted out of high school to play baseball for the Royals.
Elway was selected by the Kansas City Royals in the 18th round of the 1979 Major League Baseball Draft. The Royals drafted Dan Marino in the fourth round of the same draft.
10. It takes 3,000 cows to supply the NFL with enough leather for a year's supply of footballs.
Would this mean animal rights activists wouldn't be football fans?